Crew Member Position
Members of the crew will be involved with many aspects of growing, harvesting and tending vegetables. This position involves working cooperatively with other crew members. The work is repetitive but you need to remain attentive to detail at all times.
General Crew Member Duties
- Field Work: Harvest, transplant, trellis, row cover, mulch, and weed. Achieve proficiency with hand tools. Work with tractor operated transplanters and harvest machines.
- Packing Shed: Organize harvest trucks for daily harvest. Unload vegetables from trucks. Move vegetables around packing shed with hand trucks and pallet forks. Wash, sort, cull and bag vegetables. Work with several pieces of packing shed equipment including brush washer, barrel washer, bagging table, greens washer and bean grader. Assist with record keeping, tool maintenance, cleaning and organization.
- Hoophouse: Plant, weed, prepare beds, trellis, prune tomatoes, harvest.
- Transplant Greenhouse: Seed, fill flats and general organizational tasks.
- CSA Deliveries: Conduct or assist with CSA share deliveries: loading and unloading of truck, organizing site, ensuring accurate and timely delivery of shares.
- Vehicles: Operate farm pickup trucks and box trucks in the field and on the road in safe and efficient manner.
- CSA Events: Assist with CSA member events, including u-picks and festivals.
- It’s essential to be in exceptionally good physical condition; the job involves significant physical demands and repetitive lifting of 10 to 40 pounds.
- Possess a strong work ethic.
- Be willing and prepared to work in all weather conditions.
- Work well with a wide variety of people.
- Work cooperatively as a member of a crew.
- Be able to work independently.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Be able to multi-task.
- Listen carefully and follow directions.
- Communicate clearly.
- Be receptive to feedback.
- Arrive on time, well rested and ready to work.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Always be attentive to any safety concerns and take appropriate action.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Have dependable transportation to the farm.
- Drug free at all times while working on the farm.
Terms of Employment
- Hourly wage starts at $11/hour. Exceptional performance will be rewarded.
- May thru October is the primary work season.
- The work schedule: Monday-Thursday: 6:30 to 4:30 with a one hour lunch break. Friday: 6:30 to noon/early afternoon. Occasional weekend mornings, as needed. The schedule may be adjusted.
- Lunch is provided by the Farm Chef Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- A weekly CSA share is provided plus unlimited seconds.
- Workers compensation insurance is purchased by the farm for all employees.
- For student employees, hours can be modified due to fall classwork with schedules agreed to in advance.
- For those interested, the potential exists for advancement to permanent positions with additional responsibilities and benefits.
- Complete the Employment Application. Click HERE for application. Printable PDF.
- Send a resume (if you have one)
- Answer these questions
- What are your farming/career goals?
- Why are you interested in working on this farm?
- What skills/strengths can you bring to this farm?
- What have been your experiences working with groups of people? Any leadership experiences?
- Anything else you feel is important for us to know.
Send to: email@example.com or 4628 County Road FF, Blue Mounds, WI 53517
- We evaluate all candidates who submit the above information.
- You can expect to hear from us after we receive your information.
- We will interview the most qualified candidates.