Crew Leader Position
In this position you will manage and lead crews; you will supervise and teach crew members. Candidates applying should have supervisory experience and leadership skills.
Crew Leader Leadership duties include:
- Lead and direct worker-share crews and employee crews in the fields and packing shed.
- Assist with planning and organizing daily and weekly schedules.
- Keep accurate daily records.
- Facilitate team work to achieve high productivity and enjoyment of task.
- Be observant and able to problem solve.
- Communicate problems, concerns and improvement suggestions to supervisor.
- Hoophouse: Plant, weed, prepare beds, trellis, prune tomatoes, harvest.
- Transplant Greenhouse: Seed, fill flats and general organizational tasks.
- Field Work: Harvest, transplant, trellis, row cover, mulch, and weed. Achieve proficiency with hand tools. Work with tractor operated transplanters and harvest machines.
- Packing Shed: Organize harvest trucks for daily harvest. Unload vegetables from trucks. Move vegetables around packing shed with hand trucks and pallet forks. Wash, sort, cull and bag vegetables. Work with several pieces of packing shed equipment including brush washer, barrel washer, bagging table, greens washer and bean grader. Assist with record keeping. Keep packing shed clean and organized. Maintain tools.
- CSA Deliveries: Conduct or assist with CSA share deliveries, including operating delivery vehicle, unloading truck, organizing site, ensuring accurate and timely delivery, unloading truck when returning to farm.
- Vehicles: Operate farm pickup trucks and box trucks in the field and on the road in safe and efficient manner. Operation of other vehicles such as fork lift and tractor, depending on employee skills or experience.
- CSA Events: Assist with CSA member events, including u-picks and festivals.
- General end of season clean-up and storage.
- Facilities repair and upgrade projects, including construction.
- Field maintenance, including brush and tree work.
- Miscellaneous as needed, it’s a farm.
- It’s essential to be in exceptionally good physical condition; the job involves significant physical demands and repetitive lifting of 10 to 40 pounds.
- Possess a strong work ethic.
- Be willing and prepared to work in all weather conditions.
- Work well with a wide variety of people.
- Work cooperatively as a member of a crew.
- Be able to work independently.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Be able to multi-task.
- Listen carefully and follow directions.
- Communicate clearly.
- Be receptive to feedback.
- Arrive on time, well rested and ready to work.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Always be attentive to any safety concerns and take appropriate action.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Have dependable transportation to the farm.
- Drug free at all times while working on the farm.
- This is a salaried position, base salary of $2,000 per month, which may be modified based on qualifications.
- Health Insurance is paid for, we are currently with Group Health Cooperative.
- Personal time is earned.
- Workers compensation insurance is provided for all employees.
- A weekly CSA share is provided plus unlimited seconds.
- Lunch is provided by the farm chef Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Fruit Box discount is an option.
- Yoga Class for those interested.
Tentative Work Hours
As a salaried employee you are expected to work all hours necessary to complete your duties. The following is our best estimate of hours. Adjustments are made due to many factors, we work with weather and deadlines.
- Peak Season: April thru October. Expect 40-50 hours per week. Monday-Thursday: 6:30 to 4:30 with a one hour lunch break. Friday: 6:30 to noon/early afternoon. Occasional weekend mornings, as needed.
- Low Season: March, November, December. 20-35 hours per week.
- Winter Rest: Late December to late February. No or very limited work hours.
- Complete the Employment Application. Click HERE for application. Printable PDF.
- Send a resume (if you have one)
- Answer these questions
- What are your farming/career goals?
- Why are you interested in working on this farm?
- What skills/strengths can you bring to this farm?
- What have been your experiences working with groups of people? Any leadership experiences?
- Anything else you feel is important for us to know.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 4628 County Road FF, Blue Mounds, WI 53517
- We evaluate all candidates who submit the above information.
- You can expect to hear from us after we receive your information.
- We will interview the most qualified candidates.